Friday 26 June 2009

Religion and Cars

Some people ask me how I can be part of an organised religion when religion itself "causes so much trouble in the world." To an extent I guess they have a point. We only have to look back to 9/11 to see how devastating extremism can be.

That doesn't mean that religion isn't fundamentally a good thing. Many other elements of our day to day lives carry with them a whole bundle of negatives.

For example, I'll bet my bottom dollar that a great number of people who say that religion "causes so much trouble in the world" drive cars. Cars kill up to 10 people a day in Britain alone. They have been used to carry bombs to kill people in all sorts of cases. They are used by criminals to escape from acts of murder, or to carry loot from robberies. Additionally, they cause endless misery in motorway traffic jams, breakdowns, or even when they demand a full shampoo and wax.

Does this mean that cars are not fundamentally a good thing? I don't think so. Cars are a great invention and make life so much easier for a great number of people; they help us get from A to B.

My faith in God is exactly the same. He makes life so much easier for me, and he gets me from A to B. In my opinion, like the car, religion is not a bad thing, so long as it is used in the way it was intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment